[UNCLASSIFIED]RE: [clug] Dual core or dual processor?

Chris Smart chris at kororaa.org
Mon Nov 27 02:26:55 GMT 2006

On the AMD platform there's prob not a lot of difference, but I haven't
had much do with with Intel. The biggest difference is most likely cost.
You'll certainly get a dual-core system much cheaper than an SMP of the
same specs. With dual-core you can use a desktop board, but with SMP
you'll need a workstation/server mainboard and probably an EPS power
supply. You'll probably be limited to 4GB ram on a desktop board, but
workstation/server boards will probably have 8 ram slots, allowing 16+GB
RAM.

Found a few articles on dual cpu vs dual-core, but some are quite old:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/07/single/
http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles.php?id=23
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/cpu/amd-cmp-vs-smp.html

And forget hyperthreading.. ;)