[clug] Free ubuntu

Fredd freds_72 at aapt.net.au
Mon Nov 20 11:04:42 GMT 2006

Regarding non-free drivers, as I understand it, Ubuntu doesn't contain any
when it ships, or when  downloaded.
I am then free to decide if I want to pollute Ubuntu with programs to
enable me to enjoy my computer.
Others are free to keep Ubuntu pristine, that is their choice.
Or they can use Fedora, or other unpolluted distros.
The success of Automatix and easyUbuntu point to the fact that people just
want to get on with it, easily.
Yes, it would be better to have a pure distro which could be maintained by
anybody, but give it time,
more companies are coming to the realisation that Linux and freedom are
good for business.
Much is said about freedom, why do some feel that it is their duty to
restrict that freedom "for the good of the cause"?
If Canonical put non-free drivers into Flighty, then it will be an
acknowledgement of the demand for that type of distro.
The advantage is that they can  ensure  all runs smoothly, ( makes sign of
cross, throws salt over shoulder).

cheers
Fredd