[clug] 100 base t

Adrian Blake adrian.blake at ieee.org
Mon Nov 20 08:44:32 GMT 2006

Questions regarding the physical part of 100 Base t connection:

Voltage levels are 0.6 V   to 2 V  yes/no

What are the conditions for establishing a physical connection?

A network switch sends pulses of differing widths to automatically determine the speed of the network connection, what are those
widths and what does it expect in return?

How does a switch determine if it is a full duplex or half duplex connection?

I am trying to construct a very basic but working electrical/optical media converter. I wish to avoid using a complex chip which
acts as a repeater, i.e reframing, timing etc. I need to keep the costs down.

Can someone point me to a good reference to these and other questions?

Adrian
--
Adrian Blake
Molonglo Radio Observatory