[clug] upgrading to fedora

Robin Shannon robin at shannon.id.au
Mon Nov 20 07:50:40 GMT 2006

On 20/11/06, Adrian Blake <adrian.blake at ieee.org> wrote:
> I have a machine running redhat 7.??   which has developed a problem, possible attack. I cannot locate the fault but it will not
> boot. My thought is to install Fedora 4 for which I have the CDs. Everything of value is in /home plus a postgres database. I hope
> to be able to do a pgdump ( or copy the database), but will everything in /home be undisturbed if I do and install over the top of
> the existing operating redhat 7.??

If you boot it with a live CD (eg. knoppix), then mount your hard disk
(if it isn't automagically mounted already), then you would be able to
copy any thing in /home + your database to some kind of storage media
(you could even ftp it some place) and then do a complete clean
reinstall.

paz,
-rjs.

--