[clug] Free Ubuntu?

Michael michael.ross at atice.org
Mon Nov 20 02:53:03 GMT 2006

Hi,

> I wish someone like Ubuntu/Canonical would stand up to closed source
> software and help to force vendors like nvidia and ati to release open
> source drivers. Maybe the Samba team could CC that letter for Novell to
> Canonical too? :)

I doubt ATI & Nvidia will ever release open source drivers. They have too
much IP tied up in them for that move to be worthwhile.

It would be nice if both companies published full specifications on their
older cards. When they stop making money from a chipset, what do they lose
by letting people develop GPL drivers for it?

regards,

--
Michael
michael.ross at atice.org