[clug] stupid Communications ministers

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Sat Nov 18 18:18:41 GMT 2006

On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 07:53:12AM +1100, John Fletcher wrote:
> I think you have a point there.  The reality is that we can get pretty fast
> broadband at the moment, yet how many people have taken up the fastest
> broadband possibly available to them?  Perhaps 1% of the market, at a guess.

At some point TV-over-ADSL will become common and you'll have hundreds
of thousands of people downloading several Mb/s 24 hours per day, piped
to a TV which may or may not be on.

The thing is, ADSL needs to be faster than 1.5Mb to start selling this,
which I imagine is one reason it hasn't happend. Talk about the
ultimate competitor to cable.

> Not to say improving broadband speeds is a bad idea - it's a nice
> convenience / cool thing.  Compare that to getting broadband instead of
> dialup - it completely changes your "internet experience" (or something).

And the next step up will change the "internet experience" radically
again. Think ahead.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/