Faster broadband (Was Re: [clug] stupid Communications ministers)

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Sat Nov 18 00:25:05 GMT 2006

Steve Walsh wrote:

>> Why do we need faster broadband, asides from playing games and keeping
>> up with the Joneses?
>
> Broadband use in Australia isn't just Domestic, a lot of us use it to
> help earn a crust. I'd love faster broadband, I'm just getting sick of
> people who say we don't need it because they can read a webpage as fast
> as it can render.

I agree with Steve.  I want faster upload because from a business point of view
that's where we're suffering.  There are too many times when we saturate our
upstream while our downstream stays idle.  Sure it would be nice to be able to
pull various things down faster, but that has less of a negative impact on our
business.

Currently we're getting 1,500/256kbps.   Our ISP is asking for expressions of
interest in 8,000/384kbps which would be an improvement, but mostly in the wrong
direction.  I notice that iinet is offering up to 24,000/1,000kbps and may soon
be available in our area.  What I really want though is Internode's offering:
24,000/2,500kbps but they don't have any plans out our way for the moment.  To
be honest, if any of them offered something like 1,500/1,500kbps they'd have a
happy customer in me.  Our down-stream is "fast enough" right now.  That may
change in the future, but right now it's fast enough.

So I need faster broadband so that I can send files to the printers while
customers are downloading course notes.  And other related things.