[OT] Re: [clug] stupid Communications ministers

Tauri tauri at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 17 08:42:47 GMT 2006

>When the Koreans and Japanese get faster Internet speeds to their mobile
>phones that we do to our homes you know were behind

This is [OT] but couldn't help but take the bait - it isn't all good in Korea:  they depend so heavily on ActiveX for their ugly super-busy websites that websurfing in Firefox can be painful.

Also, you need a Korean "national ID number" to register to use most of the websites, including e-commerce sites.  End result is that it's easier to buy stuff off-line anyway....

The system also seems to be a bit odd in that access for apartment buildings is controlled by one company. Each apartment is wired up with ethernet and they stick a router in the basement.  If you want net access, you sign up with the company which has the contract for your buliding.  (Monopoly issues, anyone?  Not to mention security implications of sharing an ethernet segment with your neighbours....)

Still, you can't complain about the speeds!

t.