[clug] Cannon cameras and Linux

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Nov 16 23:36:38 GMT 2006

On 16 Nov 2006, at 15:17, Michael James wrote:

> Since cameras used to be USB1 I use the cheap USB reader.
> So $20 at the computer markets makes software irrelevant.

I'll second that opinion. The USB ports on Cameras are usually slow,
and use a special connector (if you're lucky, they use a Mini-A or
Mini-B plug).

Invest in a USB 2.0 or FireWire card reader. They usually come in an
"all-flavour" style these days, so I can for example read photos from
my Nikon CoolPix 995's Compact Flash I card, and my Canon MVX 330i's
SD card, without plugging in either device. Since the reader is USB
2, I can read the pictures off the cards much faster than the native
USB in the camera (the MVX, being a DV camera, is FireWire so the
advantage is only in not having to heave the 2kg camera around my
desk with my delicate little hands...).

Not only is a card reader faster, but you end up with fewer cables
hanging around.

Alex