[clug] Cannon cameras and Linux

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Nov 16 02:21:54 GMT 2006

Crosskey, Jason (DPS) wrote:

> I am thinking of getting a cannon digital camera but I have reason to
> believe you need software to connect to a PC, which would be windows
> only. This is enough to make me avoid cannon cameras.

Just about any USB digital camera you buy these days will either be USB
mass storage (in which case it appears like a USB key and doesn't need
additional software) or PTP (in which case you can use gphoto/gthumb/etc
to grab photos off it).  They all come with Windows and often Mac
software, but it's generally crap and you don't really need it anyway -
even under Windows ;-)

Canon make nice cameras.

Cameron