[clug] Cannon cameras and Linux

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Thu Nov 16 00:29:44 GMT 2006

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 11:06:35AM +1100, Crosskey, Jason (DPS) wrote:

> I am thinking of getting a cannon digital camera but I have reason to
> believe you need software to connect to a PC, which would be windows
> only. This is enough to make me avoid cannon cameras.
>
> I want a camera that connects via USB without additional software. Does
> anyone know if new cannon cameras still require software to download
> pics?

>From my understanding a lot (possibly most) of the canon cameras do need
software rahter than simply appearing as a usb mass storage device, my Canon
Powersho A60 definitely is in this class.

However libgphoto2 has full support for pretty mcuh all the Canon cameras out
there so all the applicaitons that work with cameras will be able to access
the phtoos on any canon camera and manipulate them.

Check out the gphoto website to see what is and is not supported.

	See You
	    Steve

--
Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org http://svana.org/sjh/diary
you could try to train me like a pet, you could try to teach me to behave