[clug] Re: Myth TV Questions

Ian Bardsley ifb777 at tpg.com.au
Wed Nov 15 10:44:29 GMT 2006

Thanks to all who responded to my request for help.  Having spent more
time on the issue this evening, I am now of the opinion that the Ubuntu
Mythtv package is faulty and will not  establish  a database during the
install process so until I can find a solution it's back to Windows for
recording those TV  progs that I may want to record.

Thanks again

Ian Bardsley

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

/On 14th Nov

Good Evening

I took advantage of an idle evening yesterday to explore the possibility
of setting up MythTV.  A fair bit of Googling and reading leads me to
the conclusion that this may be something of a challenge.

I decided to follow the steps of a MythTV How To just to see if some of
the negative comments found on the net were valid and lo and behold they
could well be.

Having loaded mysql-server, mythtv-frontend, mythtv-backend and mythtv
database as outlined in the How To, was able to view a mythtv page after
selecting a language that told me that myth couldn't connect to the
database followed by:

Hostname:  localhost
Database:  mythconverge
User: mythtv
Password: mythtv
Database type: MySQL

Bu*#@! I thought. Perhaps the software install was flawed so I remove
the installed packages and instead of using Synaptic (yes I'm currently
playing with Ubuntu 6.1).  I tried apt-get install mythtv and watched
carefully the progress.  The following is a dump of that process:

ian at desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install mythtv
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      Reading state information... Done
 libmyth-0.20 libqt3-mt-mysql mythtv-backend mythtv-common mythtv-database
 mythtv-frontend
Suggested packages:
 mythweb mythmusic mythweather mythgallery mythdvd mythvideo mythgame
Recommended packages:
 mythtv-doc mythtv-themes xmltv-util
 libmyth-0.20 libqt3-mt-mysql mythtv mythtv-backend mythtv-common
 mythtv-database mythtv-frontend
0 upgraded, 7 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/14.6MB of archives.
After unpacking 37.5MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package libqt3-mt-mysql.
(Reading database ... 99077 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libqt3-mt-mysql (from
.../libqt3-mt-mysql_3%3a3.3.6-3ubuntu3_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libmyth-0.20.
Unpacking libmyth-0.20 (from .../libmyth-0.20_0.20-0.2ubuntu2_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package mythtv-common.
Unpacking mythtv-common (from .../mythtv-common_0.20-0.2ubuntu2_all.deb)
Selecting previously deselected package mythtv-database.
Unpacking mythtv-database (from
.../mythtv-database_0.20-0.2ubuntu2_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package mythtv-frontend.
Unpacking mythtv-frontend (from
.../mythtv-frontend_0.20-0.2ubuntu2_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package mythtv-backend.
Unpacking mythtv-backend (from
.../mythtv-backend_0.20-0.2ubuntu2_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package mythtv.
Unpacking mythtv (from .../mythtv_0.20-0.2ubuntu2_all.deb) ...
Setting up libqt3-mt-mysql (3.3.6-3ubuntu3) ...
Setting up libmyth-0.20 (0.20-0.2ubuntu2) ...

Setting up mythtv-common (0.20-0.2ubuntu2) ...

/Setting up mythtv-database (0.20-0.2ubuntu2) ...
Failed to connect to database: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost'
(using password: YES) at -e line 5, <> line 1.
Failed to create database (incorrect admin username/password?)
If you supplied incorrect information, try:
dpkg-reconfigure --force mythtv-database
dpkg: error processing mythtv-database (--configure):
Setting up mythtv-frontend (0.20-0.2ubuntu2) ...

Setting up mythtv-backend (0.20-0.2ubuntu2) ...
udev active, devices will be created in / /dev//.static/dev/
Starting MythTV server: mythbackendSession management error:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
.

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mythtv:
mythtv depends on mythtv-database (= 0.20-0.2ubuntu2); however:
 Package mythtv-database is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing mythtv (--configure):
mythtv-database
mythtv
ian at desktop:~$ /

Now this is beyond me.  I have no idea what this means....could the
package be faulty??

I am aware that a number of cluggers are using Mythtv,  Can anyone point
me to a solution or is anyone aware of a well structured How To on
getting this programme up and running?

TIA

Ian Bardsley
 /