[clug] spamsum usage in the real world

Nemo clug at nemo.house.cx
Tue Nov 14 09:51:13 GMT 2006

Based on a cursory glance of the spampot mailbox (which has actually
been active for a little while now, in preparation for this
possibility), there is a fair amount of spam which is purely duplicated
(most obviously on the subject line), but by visual scanning, also in
the entire body (dunno about attachments though). In analysing caught
spam subject lines only, they appear to regularly send blocks of mail
over a day or two before changing.

Just quietly, I also ran a test of this spamsum earlier today and with
a couple of thousand signatures from the spampot only, it was capturing
roughly 6 messages for every message going into the spampot. (and thus
performing on par with what spamassassin was capturing at a score of
15+)

Note that's only a few hours of test though.

And in the long run, I definately agree - the trend for spam will be to
be more unique over time. Spamsum nicely finds "similarness" though, so
it seems still quite effective.

dspam was my next consideration :)

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 07:45:46PM +1100, Kim Holburn did utter: