[clug] Why switch to Linux?

Chris Smart chris at kororaa.org
Mon Nov 13 01:00:06 GMT 2006

Jsparksaa at cs.com wrote:
> Might I suggest including a link/ some links to helpful websites to help newbies and others like me who are not new but who are not well practised in linux.
>
>   One area where I still have some trouble is in installations and I re-fought a battle today trying to install Audacity.  There was a dependancy I was having trouble resolving.
>
>   I had used the packman website in the past as an additional installation source for Suse installs, but for some unknown reason, I later turned this source off.  After some googling (sp), I re-found the site and I was able to complete the audacity install.
>
> http://packman.iu-bremen.de/
>
> I am sure there are others out there who would appreciate this information.
Hey Jim, thanks for the thoughts.

I guess the problem with this is that I don't have "control" over the
information on the pages we link to. If we link to confusing complicated
sites, that might be a bad thing. Plus, there are so many different
issues people might want information on. You wanted info on fixing your
repositories, but there are a million other things that people might
want a resource for. Is that too hard to accommodate?

Maybe this is where the wiki (http://wiki.makethemove.net) can come in
handy? If you worked out your issue, then why not post an entry on the
wiki? Then people have a central "controlled" resource to find
assistance. Does this idea sort of fill the gap you're mentioning?

Cheers!
Chrs