[clug] MtM site final draft

Hugh Fisher hugh.fisher at anu.edu.au
Mon Nov 13 00:21:05 GMT 2006

Paul Wayper wrote:
> Chris Smart wrote:
>
>>http://makethemove.net/demo
>
> Oh, and BTW, I think you should include 'Macintosh OS-X' in the list of
> operating systems on the 'why.php' page.  Maybe just say "OK, so the
> operating system you've got from Microsoft or Apple "works fine", so why
> should you bother about Linux?"

I don't think this is a good idea. Look at the "Why" list from a
Mac owners perspective:

Viruses and Spyware: None. Zip. Nada. We laugh at Windows too.

Security and Stability: FreeBSD. Got that.

Package Management: Got that. (Apple Software Update does all your
system stuff. Installing Mac applications is just 'drag folder onto
the disk')

Features: Got those 3D hardware based desktop effects before
anyone else.

Compatibility: OK, MacOS X doesn't run on as wide a range of hardware.

Free (as in freedom): We love Steve Jobs! We trust Apple! Stay out
of our counter-culture alternative lifestyle you bearded wierdos!

Free (as in cost): Linux has about the same aesthetic appeal as
graffiti by homeless street people. We pay for style.

Easy and Intuitive: Linux over Mac? HA HA HA HA!

Choice and Control/Community: We all *chose* our Macs. Everyone in
the Mac community, user or developer, has a passion for it, not
for market share. (We're right at home with making money.)

Fun! : Macs are fun. Oh, and we've got native World of Warcraft.

Seriously, it's a different community and you'll need different
reasons if you want Macintosh people to switch.

	cheers,
	Hugh