[clug] FOSS and Linux features

Michael Cohen michael.cohen at netspeed.com.au
Sat Nov 11 04:38:02 GMT 2006

On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 08:52:36AM +1100, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Saturday 11 November 2006 08:17, Kim Holburn wrote:
> > > I'm after a few more things for the MtM site and after your help
> > > again!
> > >
> > > First, I'm after a list of FOSS for Windows that people can try
> > > before diving straight into Linux (like gimp, gaim, openoffice etc).
> >
> > cygwin?
> I'm not sure that this is the image of a modern Linux application / distro. It
> is really a way for old-school unix users to get back some of the tools that
> they are familiar with.
>
> I'd suggest leaving it out.

Brad,
  Cygwin is not only used by die-hard unix folks. In fact most windows admins
  keep some of the cygwin utilities around like find, bash etc. Mostly because
  these tools make admining a windows system almost bearable. With the full
  cygwin suit (includes X11, Xemacs etc) a windows environment is a much more
  powerful platform. It feels like a really slow version of linux - and could
  be a nice intro for windoze users.

  Michael.