[clug] FOSS and Linux features

Chris Smart chris at kororaa.org
Fri Nov 10 06:52:29 GMT 2006

I'm after a few more things for the MtM site and after your help again!

First, I'm after a list of FOSS for Windows that people can try before
diving straight into Linux (like gimp, gaim, openoffice etc).

Secondly, I have a "features" section under the "why" page and am
wanting a list of features where Linux is leading the pack (well Windows
at least).

I remember reading an APC Magazine article many months ago comparing the
upcoming vista features with currently available Linux features and it
was a good win for Linux. If anyone has that issue maybe you can jot
them down on an email for me? ;)

Anyway this is what I'm thinking of:

"Linux is often at the forefront of computer technology and innovation.
It is not bound by the same pressures as commercial entities and people
are free to be creative and innovative. Some examples of technology
where Linux has already beaten Windows Vista to the punch include: fancy
3D desktop effects with compiz; TV and media centre with mythtv; desktop
searching with beagle; desktop widgets with superkaramba; and Linux is
available for free, right now!"

Thanks again!
Chris