[clug] ATO software library changes to OpenOffice

Paul Wayper paul.wayper at anu.edu.au
Fri Nov 10 01:15:48 GMT 2006

Hi all,

Drew's recent note about eTax reminded me of what a friend in the ATO
told me.  The ATO provides a 'software library' for its employees to use
at home, and recently they have changed to offering OpenOffice instead
of Microsoft Office.  From what he said I believe this was because the
ATO couldn't afford the open-ended licenses for Microsoft Office.  What
this means in terms of future document format change I don't know, but
while I imagine a few people will take documents home and work on them
in OpenOffice, I don't imagine there'll be enough of these people or
enough compatibility problems to force the ATO to not choose Microsoft
Office at work.

Have fun,

Paul