[clug] Switching to Linux issues

Drew Parsons Drew.Parsons at anu.edu.au
Thu Nov 9 23:21:27 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 20:11 +0800, Chris Smart wrote:

> There are however some programs for Linux that let you run your Windows
> software under Linux via an "emulation" type method. One such program is
> called "wine".

In this context and for our (Australian) purposes, it might be worth
mentioning that the Australian Tax Office's eTax works flawlessly under
wine this year, including internet connections both for final submission
and for downloading bank interest and other such automated digitised
details.  Oh, I had to run wine on eTax updates ("patches") separately
since they wouldn't install from inside the original instance that
downloaded them, but after that the patched version continued working
fine.  That's with plain wine, not with Crossover, too.

And Crossover recently annouced that World Of Warcraft now works.

Drew