[clug] Why switch to Linux?

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Nov 9 22:37:00 GMT 2006

Chris Smart wrote:
> Drew Parsons wrote:
>>
>>> 2) robustness (rarely crashes)
>>
>> To be honest I find this statement is extremely deceptive.
>> Between firefox, evolution, open office and power management, I find my
>> laptop running Linux crashes a *lot*.  Doesn't always freeze the entire
>> system up (then again sometimes it does), but a crash is a crash.
> The cause of your crashes might not be Linux, though. It might be bad
> hardware, overheating or memory issues? Have you had the laptop
> thoroughly tested? Just a thought, I find that Linux rarely crashes for me.
>
> I agree though that the wording could change in that crashing rarely
> takes out your whole computer like under Windows.
>
> What do others think?
>
> -c

One of my three Linux laptops crashed yesterday (hard, I think), after
I pulled out the Bluetooth USB dongle - it was running Ubuntu Dapper.

Other than that, my Linux laptops typically run for months at a time
between reboots/power cycles. So, I stand by my original point that
Linux is robust (certainly more robust than the various Windows Laptops
some staff around here are using) and that is "rarely crashes" (note,
I am not claiming that Linux "never crashes").

If someone out there running Windows is getting frustrated with how
often they need to reboot their laptop/desktop, then maybe that is a
good enough reason for them to "makethemove".

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.