[clug] RE: Why switch to Linux

Robin Shannon robin at shannon.id.au
Thu Nov 9 15:54:02 GMT 2006

On 09/11/06, Peter Anderson <peter.anderson at internode.on.net> wrote:
> I guess I am
> very close to making a permanent switch to Linux but am being held back
> by two pieces of software on Windows which I really like (TextPad (the
> "absolute best" text editor) and Pretty Good Solitaire (the "world's
> best" solitaire software).

I don't know if you have given vi or emacs a try, but i really
recommend making the effort to learn the basics of one of the two (or
even better both). There is heaps of documentation out there for both
and i'm sure typing "vi tutorial" or "emacs tutorial" into google
would turn up something good. I have never used TextPad (or heard of
it for that matter) but i am willing to bet all the things i love in
this world that vi and emacs both blow it out of the water in terms of
power. Espesially vi <ducks for cover from the hordes of emacs zealots
/>.

As for solitaire if you look in your distros repositories for
solitaire you should come up with something comparible. If your distro
doesn't have a very big repository (that is if it isn't debian) a look
around sourceforge and the kde games site might also be worth your
while.

paz,
-rjs.

--