[clug] Why switch to Linux?

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Thu Nov 9 10:55:43 GMT 2006

On 2006/Nov/09, at 3:51 PM, Robin Shannon wrote:

> On 09/11/06, Chris Smart <chris at kororaa.org> wrote:
>> Chris Smart wrote:
>> Easy and Intuitive - A single 20 minute install of Linux will set
>> up all
>> your software AND all your hardware in one go! You don't need to
>> waste
>> time searching for drivers disks and go through the frustration of
>> installing all your software. Once your Linux system is installed you
>> will find it is very simple and easy to use. Linux is continually
>> being
>> improved and made more intuitive because people have the freedom
>> to make
>> changes to the software and make it available for everyone else to
>> benefit from.
>
> Sure, it might sometimes, but other times (espessialy with non-free
> drivers) you have to play around after the install. You also need to
> get various non-free codecs etc after the install (depending on the
> distro). These can both be quite daunting tasks for absolute newbies.

I was going to say, linux is in general much easier to install than
the "alternative".  Mostly the "alternative" comes pre-installed on
systems and is a real hassle to install from scratch, especially if
you need non-standard drivers.  Modern linux distros are very easy to
install.

You don't have to ring a large multi-national company to "activate"
your OS.  You don't have to re-validate your system every-time you
update or "patch" your system or applications.

You can test-drive linux with a live cd/dvd distro (and it's legal to
do use live cds too) .  You can use live cds to fix damaged or hacked
systems.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant