[clug] Re: Why switch to Linux?

Peter Anderson peter.anderson at internode.on.net
Thu Nov 9 06:56:39 GMT 2006

There is another angle to the "Why switch to Linux" issue. There are a
number of organisations around the world/Australia that are helping
people get started with computing by providing second-hand computers,
running Linux, at very cheap prices. Now I don't want to suggest that
CLUG get into that business because it's too difficult. However, the ACT
has (or used to have when I lived up there) a really good supply of
ex-government PC's via the Fyshwick auctions. The "Make the move" web
site could provide details of what specifications potential buyers might
look for and could provide recommendations on what distributions to
install with some on-going support via the "Make the move" web site.
There might even be an opportunity to have the auction houses mention
this service at the start of auctions or allow CLUG to put up a notice
at the auctions - this ought to be a help to some perspective auction
customers.

Also, I would like to see the web site include a forum as well as the
mail list or instead of the mail list.

Regards,
Peter
--

Peter Anderson

E: peter.anderson at internode.on.net
P: +61 (0)2 4472 2274
M: +61 (0)418 249 648

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the
introduction of a new order of things — Niccolo Machiavelli, /The
Prince/, ch. 6