[clug] Why switch to Linux?

Chris Smart chris at kororaa.org
Thu Nov 9 05:30:01 GMT 2006

Robin Shannon wrote:
[snip]

> Sure, it might sometimes, but other times (espessialy with non-free
> drivers) you have to play around after the install. You also need to
> get various non-free codecs etc after the install (depending on the
> distro). These can both be quite daunting tasks for absolute newbies.

True. On the site we are promoting free software. "Use Linux because it
is free (as in freedom) and open source", and "you can only trust free
software", etc. If we are using non-free video drivers / codecs then the
system is no longer free and can no-longer be trusted. Is this hypocritical?

People can use Linux without their non-free video driver, but this does
warrant some further looking into. Perhaps we need another section on
the site, "Issues with Linux"? This section could discuss things like
lack of full Microsoft Office compatibility, non-free drivers, codecs
etc, things where Linux is still lagging behind? I do like the up front
approach but don't want people to be scared off needlessly.

-c