[clug] Why switch to Linux?

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Nov 9 03:28:53 GMT 2006

Chris Smart wrote:
> Hi all,
> Now that I've finished traveling for a while I want to complete the
> makethemove.net website.
>
> A section "Why switch to Linux?" was proposed and I like the idea so I'm
> asking people to make some suggestions on reasons why people should
> switch to Linux. Can you help?
>
> "My windows 2000 install works fine, why should I bother switching to
> Linux?" is the angle I'm trying to tackle.
>
> Thanks!
> Chris

1) resistant to all common viruses

2) robustness (rarely crashes)

3) no upgrade costs (hidden costs)

(lots of other reasons, but they begin to get more political and less
pragmatic).

My feeling is that "we" "need" to get out the message that Linux (and
other OSS) is there and works and is not even remotely illegal to use
(this, I find, is a major mis-conception - that free software is the
same as pirated software and that somehow we have found ways to legally
re-distribute pirated software - probably a lot of FUD put out by the
players that stand to lose out to Linux and OSS).

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.