[clug] monitor mode after association

Michael Cohen michael.cohen at netspeed.com.au
Tue Nov 7 10:55:48 GMT 2006

Chris,
  I dont know if im correct but I have heard that with WPA each host gets a
  different session key - which means that with promisc mode you will only be
  able to hear your own packets (not everyone else). With monitor mode you will
  be able to hear the encrypted packets from everyone else, but will need to
  decrypt them offline as was previously mentioned. Also you will only be able
  to decrypt WPA if you actually hear the initial session establishment
  sequence. That is the time when a session key is negotiated using the PSK for
  that specific connection pair.

  Michael.