[clug] monitor mode after association

chris u4123459 at anu.edu.au
Tue Nov 7 17:45:49 GMT 2006

Andrew Over wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 04:27:35PM +1100, Christopher Zhang wrote:
>
>> I am trying to put my Intel 3945 wireless card into monitor mode
>>

> A new set of drivers were released a few days ago (1.1.2), which if
> memory serves correctly fixed a few things related to
> wpa_supplicant and association (don't know if it'll help with
> promiscuous mode). You could also try the radiotap interface,
> although that may not dump decrypted packets for you.
>
> Cheers, --Andrew
Thanks for the info, I compiled the new driver but as far as I can
tell it didn't seem to make much difference. And yet the new driver
still doesn't compile under 2.6.18 kernel. (I compiled under 2.6.17
and it worked fine).

I can put my card into promiscuous mode through Ethereal as it has an
option in 'Interface' section. But this way I get a lot less
packets(mainly DNS query and smb stuff) than if I were to put my card
into monitor mode. Even though monitor mode lets you capture a lot
more packets, those packets aren't particularly useful unless the
network is unencrypted, e.g. the ANU wireless network.

It looks like promiscuous mode under managed mode isn't the same thing
as monitor mode for a simple reason the latter gets you more packets.

Cheers
Chris