[clug] monitor mode after association

Christopher Zhang u4123459 at anu.edu.au
Tue Nov 7 05:27:35 GMT 2006

Hi list,

I am trying to put my Intel 3945 wireless card into monitor mode to
work with ethereal in my own WPA2 encrypted network, it seems that
the card will automatically change back to managed mode after
associating to the AP. This makes it impossible to stay at
promiscuous mode for packets collection. However the card will stay
at monitor mode if I didn't try to associate it with the AP, but
that's pretty much useless as all packets I can see are encrypted and
appear in ethereal under protocol 802.11.

Does anyone have a better idea to put a wireless card stay at monitor
mode after association in a WPA encrypted network?

Thanks

Chris