[clug] Recommendation for dual Xeon (dual core) M/b and RHEL4 please

Stephen Hodgman steve at namsys.com.au
Fri Nov 3 11:29:45 GMT 2006

Thanks for the replies.
Further work has shown that the motherboard WILL boot smp with only ONE
(physical) cpu.  We are running that dual core.
It seems there is an issue with the Intel5000X chipset such that you
need to disable Runtime Powermanagement.
I gather the separate CPU's check up with each other and sync time.
If the runtime power management is not keeping both up to scratch they
will be out of time and the kernel does not like it.
(that is aobut the extent of my understanding anyway).  We saw a bug to
this effect on the HP site and they have a BIOS option to allow for this
in current release.
Supemicro does not :-(
Supermicro claim they are setting up a board to simulate the problem.
We hope to see a new BIOS soon that will give us the option of disabling
this "feature".

Meanwhile, we will try to limp along with one CPU.

--
Stephen Hodgman
Namadgi Systems

This message and its attachments contain confidential information and may also contain legally privileged information. This message is intended solely for the named addressee. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message or have received this message in error, you may not copy or deliver any part of this message or its attachments to anyone or use any part of this message or its attachments. Instead, you should permanently delete this message and its attachments (and all copies) from your system and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. Any content of this message and its attachments that does not relate to the official business of Namadgi Systems must be taken not to have been sent or endorsed by the company or its management.