[clug] IMAP multiple users:one account

Kristy A. Bennett kristy at kristy.id.au
Thu Nov 2 17:45:16 GMT 2006

Okay so this is apparently the story for me not getting a short-term
small solution roll out job (as coming from the 'web-guy' for the
organisation).

 >I have a good It guy who has tried to do the Imap on a larger scale at
the
 >university he has told me of the problems that they had in trying to
use it for
 >multiple logins - after several months of effort the Imap servers
where scrapped.

university == ANU
use it == an IMAP server for multiple logins

So...
Can anyone shed some light on this?

Is this a legitimate reason for not proceeding when I am talking about
having only 6 desktops pulling email from the IMAP server?

* All users of these desktops only use the one W$ login.  Of course,
appropriate filters would be implemented to minimise the need for
different individuals to access the same folders within a predetermined
structure as well as setting it to download more refresh more regularly
than if it was a single POP3 account.
*I also have seen IMAP in action when I previously worked at DEWR and
had a shared Branch Inbox that was accessible to 50 users without any
major difficulties.  In that situation it was simply a matter of having
simple business procedures like, 'Move the email to the 'actioned'
folder before hitting reply so that someone doesn't reply
simultaneously', etc.
*I also use it for 14 email accounts either server direct or through a
FetchMail server at home without any hiccups having email copied down to
both laptop and PC (both running simultaneously and in dual boot).  The
only thing I can complain about there is that when the 'you have email'
sound happens on my PC it takes as long as it takes for me to look up
for the same email to hit my laptop but that is purely a wireless
latency thing.  I had no problems ssh'ing in from remote localities
(like linux.conf.au 2006) either.

Is there something more sinister that I should be concerned about that I
am apparently oblivious to?  Or, is it possible that the current
'web-guy' is afraid of something else?

Thanks!

--

Kristy Bennett
    *****
EML kristy at kristy.id.au
URL http://www.kristy.id.au
    *****

linux.conf.au 2007 - the place to be in January 2007!