[clug] World's first open movie! "Elephants Dream"

Ben shadroth at gmail.com
Tue May 30 13:44:20 GMT 2006

Thanks, I can't believe I missed this. Absolutely Stunning.

I was flicking through the production notes and noticed this:

"While running Blender in debug mode and finally getting a crash, I
discovered that memory allocation addresses were suspiciously growing
into the 0xFFFFFFFF range, or in other words; the entire memory space
was in use! Our systems have 2.5 GB memory, and this project was only
allocating like 1.5 of it.

"To my big dismay it appeared that OSX only assigns processes a memory
space of 2 GB!
[...]
"Now I can already see the Linuxers smirk! Yes indeed, doing renders
on our Linux stations just went smooth and without problems. Linux
starts with memory allocations somewhere in the lower half, and will
easily address up to 3 GB or more.

They found a workaround for the OSX issue, but it's much nicer when
things just work out of the box *smirk*. From the comments:

"Ton, this is not just a Mac OS X problem, I got it also in Windows,
when I got my 2GB of RAM and tried rendering a scene that loaded 1.5GB
of RAM and it was fragmented. Blender crashed with a segfault, no
other errors.

"At first I thought it was the RAM that was faulty, but since it was
an expensive set of RAM and hand tested by the dealer I decided to try
it on Linux (at the time I had to use Windows for other reasons, but
was scheduled to get back to my pretty Linux in a week or so, but it
ended up being sooner, great), in Linux it was solid as a rock, I even
duplicated the geometry and added more stuff to it and it just went
fine.

"While testing I also came up with some other nifty results.
In Linux memory usage dropped by ~200 MB, dropping from ~1.5 GB in
Windows to ~1.2GB in Linux.
In Linux the render took ~5 sec less, from ~75 seconds to ~70 seconds.
In Linux the system remained responsive, while in Windows it was chocking.

http://orange.blender.org/blog/stupid-memory-problems