[clug] USB Missile Launcher

Robert Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Fri May 26 15:19:24 GMT 2006

Just thought I'd let you all know that I bought a "USB Missile Launcher"
from Jaycar in Fyshwick today (yesterday - Friday) and found a driver
for it for Linux - actually a command-line program using libusb (so no
additional kernel module involved). The code is linked from:
http://www.earth.li/~noodles/blog/armed-and-dangerous.html

Works OK. I was a little disappointed that the Jaycar catalogue implied
that it didn't require (expensive) batteries, as it uses USB. Actually,
it does require 3xAA cells (maybe not expensive ones, but it still needs
them). I'll probably hook up a 5V power supply for it at some stage.

Also, the shop assistant assured me that it uses compressed air to fire
the (foam) missiles. In fact, the missiles are propelled by springs that
are "loaded" by human power when the missiles are fitted.

Anyway, I can fire the missiles about 3m, so it is enough for a bit of
fun. Pan and tilt works OK, but not that easy to aim accurately. Costs
about $60.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.