[clug] Windows managers

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Fri May 19 08:33:10 GMT 2006

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 02:46:36PM +1000, Adrian Blake wrote:
>  I have a mandrake 2006 installation. All the booting processes work fine.
>
> The logon screen asks for username & password. There is no choice for
> alternative windows managers like Gnome over the installed KDE although I
> am sure I installed gnome. I also want to install an alternative manager.
>
> Any suggestion as to where to start looking?

The usual method is to create an .xsession file in your home directory.
This is run as soon as your X session starts. After the usual stuff
(setup environment variables, turning off the beeps, setting typematic
rate) you do:

exec <wm of choice>

Whether this still works in environments like Gnome and KDE, I don't
know.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/