[clug] GPS maps

Leigh Purdie intersect at gmail.com
Thu May 18 23:28:03 GMT 2006

Hmm.. good question!

$ apt-cache search mapinfo
gdal-bin - Geospatial Data Abstraction Library - Utility programs
libgdal-doc - Documentation for the Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
libgdal1-dev - Geospatial Data Abstraction Library - Development files
libgdal1c2a - Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
python-gdal - Python bindings to the Geospatial Data Abstraction Library

$ apt-cache show gdal-bin
 GDAL is a translator library for raster geospatial data formats.
 As a library, it presents a single abstract data model to the
 calling application for all supported formats. The related OGR
 library (which lives within the GDAL source tree) provides
 a similar capability for simple features vector data.
 .
 GDAL supports 40+ popular data formats, including commonly used
 ones (GeoTIFF, JPEG, PNG and more) as well as the ones used in
 GIS and remote sensing software packages (ERDAS Imagine,
 ESRI Arc/Info, ENVI, PCI Geomatics). Also supported many remote
 sensing and scientific data distribution formats such as HDF,
 EOS FAST, NOAA L1B, NetCDF, FITS.

http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/ talks about:

   - GRASS <http://grass.itc.it/index.html>: A raster/vector open source
   GIS uses GDAL for raster import (via r.in.gdal).
   - OpenEV <http://openev.sourceforge.net/>: An OpenGL/GTK/Python based
   graphical viewer which exclusively uses GDAL for raster access.
   - OSSIM <http://www.ossim.org/>: Another geospatial viewing and
   analysis environment which uses GDAL as one of several plugins.
   - UMN MapServer <http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/index.html>: A popular
   web mapping application with GDAL support.
   - Virtual Terrain Project <http://www.vterrain.org/>: The VTP
   libraries now use GDAL.
   - Thuban <http://thuban.intevation.org/>: A multi-platform interactive
   geographic data viewer.
   - Quantum GIS (QGIS) <http://qgis.sourceforge.net/>: A Geographic
   Information System (GIS) built for Linux/Unix. QGIS supports vector, raster,
   and database formats.
   - Demeter <http://www.terrainengine.com/>: A another OpenGL based
   terrain engine somewhat similar to VTP.
   - Cadcorp SIS <http://www.cadcorp.com/>: A Windows GIS with a GDAL
   plugin.
   - FME <http://www.safe.com/>: A GIS translator package includes a GDAL
   plugin.
   - ScanMagic <http://www.scanex.ru/software/scanmagic/>: Commercial
   Win32 application for visualization, analysis and processing of remote
   sensing data (lite version for free).
   - MS MacroSystem <http://www.msmacrosystem.nl/Ilwis/index.html>: 3D
   DEM Viewer.
   - gstat <http://www.gstat.org/>: a geostatistical modelling package.
   - flighttrack <http://flighttrack.sourceforge.net/>: GPS track viewing
   and downloading software for Mac.
   - StarSpan <http://starspan.casil.ucdavis.edu/?StarSpan>:
   raster/vector analysis.
   - gvSIG <http://www.gvsig.gva.es/>: Desktop GIS Client.
   - libral <http://libral.sourceforge.net/>: A raster algebra
   implementation and an experimental GUI+CLI GIS with Perl and GTK+.
   - Google Earth <http://earth.google.com/>: A 3D world viewer.
   - vGeo <http://www.vrco.com/vGeo/OverviewvGeo.html>: Interactive data
   fusion and visual analysis tool.
   - ILWIS <http://www.itc.nl/ilwis/>: Remote Sensing and GIS Desktop
   Package.
   - SpaceEyes3D <http://www.spaceyes.com/>: Commercial 3D visualization
   software for cartographic data.
   - MapWindow <http://www.mapwindow.org/>: open source ActiveX control
   with GIS functionality.

Looks promising! (Hmm.. google earth uses gdal!)

L.