[clug] building computer

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Tue May 16 23:53:07 GMT 2006

freds73 at aapt.net.au wrote:
> I want to build a new computer  and am wondering where to buy the
> parts.  Are there any companies in Canberra which have a good
> reputation, or
> would you get the lot from a computer fair.
>  Does a computer fair still happen at the exhibition centre or has it
> changed to be only at the university amenities hall?
>  As I am not into graphics cards, what is the difference between a
> nvidia  6200 and a nvidia 6600 card, the specs on the cards list the
> 6200 as  having a faster gpu than the 6600, but lesser performance.
>
> TIA
> Fred

Being based at ANU, I usually wander over to the 7-Star Tech Shop on
campus (run by Ren) and they get me whatever I need, if they don't
already have it in stock (which I find they usually do). Their prices
usually seem as good as anything else I have seen.

I just prefer dealing with a person (who usually has a clue), rather
than ordering over the 'net, although I do buy off the 'net when the
deal is "too good". Plus, I need the exercise :-)

7-Star are also good at taking stuff back if it is not suitable for
the job.

There are other shops around that will sell parts: Fairstar in Braddon,
Harris Tech and Jaycar in Fyshwick and Landmark on Marcus-Clarke St.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.