[clug] Postgres sync / duplication

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Fri May 5 11:07:03 GMT 2006

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 08:14:25PM +1000, Michael Carden wrote:
> One and only one user needs to do some stuff with one of the databases. User
> logs into a workstation on either the Win or the Lin system and does work.
> User finishes.
>
> Now, we need to synch the contents of the database that the user just fiddled
> with, across to the database on the other system. Nobody else is doing
> anything with either system once the user has finished, so stopping stuff and
> restarting is not a problem. The user may have chosen to work on the Win or
> the Lin database and it should make no difference which. The systems are not
> normally linked (separate Ethernet networks and separate fibrechannel to
> storage), but they could be for the duration of the 'synch.'

This is probably the wrong list to ask, it'd be better directed at
pgsql-general (at) postgresql.org. In any case, what you're referring
to is multi-master replication and is quite a difficult (and usually
expensive) problem in general.

If you make all changes on the one database, the other can be a
replicated copy. However, I don't see how you can hope to keep the
databases in sync without a link...

There exist a number of solutions to track changes in one system in a
way that you can apply them on another, but I havn't don't it myself...
Perhaps you could adapt one of those...

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/