[clug] Softaware installs on tridge.anu.edu.au.

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Thu May 4 06:20:50 GMT 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 06:07:49PM +1000, freegazer wrote:
> Tony
>
> Here is a couple of suggestions for additional software packages for
> Tridge.anu.edu.au
> multitail would be a nice addition for multiple file and log viewing /
> checking.
> perhaps a mail client to allow people to view the lists? (I know cone is
> very good and administrator configurable I believe) I assume that there are
> issues with disk quotas and so I fully understand if this is a big nasty
> "NO".
> Another possibility that has some fairly hefty implications is a scheduler
> for users? Once again I don't expect it but just a thought.
> As I think of more I will request them.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Well it's not a nasty NO, but a no none the less :(.  tridge is fairly
isolated from the 'Net as a whole (no access outside ANU for example) so
it's not feasible for people to read their email there. (mutt is
installed anyway ;p)  so installing email clients isn't really
worthwhile.
I guess that it'd be possible to read clug email if it's ever moved onto
the other PPC machines here at ANU.

In the meantime I've install multitail.  I expect most people will use
screen anyway but it doesn't look like it'll hurt to have it there :)

Yours Tony

   linux.conf.au       http://linux.conf.au/ || http://lca2007.linux.org.au/
   Jan 15-20 2007      The Australian Linux Technical Conference!