[clug] Telstra ADSL

E. kane at areujoking.com
Tue May 2 10:10:02 GMT 2006

How *long* have you had the static IP? Bigpong assign static IP's out of the
same pool. I once setup a company using static IP's from Bigpong (one in the
ACT, other office north cost) and the accounts had consecutive IP addresses.
While both could browse, they could not talk to each other (VPN) for about 3
or 4 days as it took that long for the dynamic routing tables to update.
Basically ran a ping script both end so all routes in the middle tried
repeatedly to find the path.

I would theorise that you were assigned a static IP that had previously been
assigned to somone else in a vastly different physical location, and the
dynamic routes to your IP address still point to the last location (i.e. the
traffic may be leaving OK, but some router in the path thinks it should send
it on a different path) and is misdirecting it.

If you are getting the standard "We can't/won't help you" Bigpong line (in
this case because it's *nix, rather than not our gear, not our record, etc),
get a mate with a Windoze lappie round and recreate the problem. This may be
the only method to force bigpong to accept that they have a problem.
Cheers,
E.