[clug] USB Wireless in Canberra

Michael Cohen michael.cohen at netspeed.com.au
Tue Mar 7 22:03:35 GMT 2006

Anthony,
  I found that atheros chipsets are the best for several reasons. Firstly they
are supported very well and have decent radios. But most importantly for me, the
atheros company seems to require advertising the atheros logo on products that
contain it. So if a product has the atheros logo on it, it has an atheros
chipset. This is invaluable when you go to places like the computer fair and you
cant really take it back if it isnt supported. I once got a dlink wg511 card
thinking it would be supported, but the one I bought was actually a 511v2 card -
totoally different chipset I never heard of (marvel??) and not supported at all
(other then ndiswrappers). Since then I always get atheros - slightly more
expensive but worth every cent.

The other option is to buy in dick smith or harvey norman where they take it back
no questions asked.

Michael.