[clug] Does anyone have a spare 2.5" (notebook) ide drive?

Conrad Canterford conrad at mail.watersprite.com.au
Wed Mar 1 00:05:33 GMT 2006

Morning all,

I suspect that the harddrive in this laptop is failing, but I'm not
certain that it isn't something more fundamental (like the ide
controller or something like that).
I'm hoping someone has a known working 2.5" ide drive they'd be prepared
to give away or part with for not much money (preferably something
larger than 20gig, but beggars can't be choosers) which I could use to
test this theory without having to spend a couple of hundred dollars
buying one new when there is a chance I'll find that the laptop is more
terminally stuffed.
I don't want to borrow one because the drive makes some very bad
sounding clicking and clacking noises when it does play up, and if it
isn't the drive at fault but the controller, I wouldn't want to damage
the drive. If I was prepared to to that, I'd steal the drive out of my
wife's laptop to test with.

For that matter, does anyone know of a good place to buy 2.5" drives? I
must admit I haven't actually asked any of the local shops, but a quick
google search didn't show many options for purchasing online (my google
skills are not fantastic however).

Conrad.