[clug] The GPL and kernel modules

Sam Couter sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Wed Jun 21 12:57:40 GMT 2006

Paul Wayper <paul.wayper at anu.edu.au> wrote:

> One is that what I _don't_ see is the FSF badgering nVidia and ATI

They may be badgering them incessantly in private.

> or taking them to court, over 'violating the GPL' by distributing
> binary-only drivers.

#include <ianal_disclaimer.h>

The FSF has no standing to initiate legal action over GPL violations
unless they hold the copyright being violated. Only the copyright holder
can take legal action, regardless of who authored the licence.

The kernel developers, who *do* hold the copyright over their various
pieces of kernel code, could take action if they wished. Those with
Linus don't want to because they think it's okay that nVidia and ATI
drivers have binary components. Most of the others probably want to see
a better resolution than The GPL Case Of The Century. And maybe some
just don't care enough or have enough money or confidence to go to the
trouble of prosecuting.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.dropbear.id.au