[clug] The GPL and kernel modules

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Wed Jun 21 03:08:32 GMT 2006

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Cameron Patrick wrote:

> Linus has explicitly said that he's fine with proprietary modules for
> Linux, and I believe that the copy of the GPL distributed with the
> kernel is modified to contain a statement to this effect.  (Hmm, after
> checking it actually says that user applications running on the kernel
> are considered as excempt from being 'derived works', which is somewhat
> different.)

> Linus's perspective on the matter:
>    http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Kernel/proprietary-kernel-modules.html

A somehwat more recent article:
http://kerneltrap.org/node/1735
(search for Linus)

To quote:
--
In contrast, these days it would be hard to argue that a new driver or
filesystem was developed without any thought of Linux. I think the NVidia

Linus
--

> Cameron

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\