[clug] Postscript Graphing Library for programming

Paul Wayper paul.wayper at anu.edu.au
Mon Jun 19 01:41:40 GMT 2006

Hi people,

I thought I'd put out a request to the Lazyweb for information about
drawing graphs (bar charts, line charts, etc) in a program (e.g. in
Perl) that can be output directly to a printer.  I'm trying to graph
information that has a lot more statistical resolution than the 65,536
data rows that OpenOffice Calc seems to be limited to.  My current
program uses the GD::Graph library, which is fine if you want to output
a PNG at a large resolution, load it into GIMP, scale it to the page and
print it - because that's the only way I've found so far of actually
outputting the graph in anything near the printer's actual resolution
(everything else seems to think that 50DPI is fine).  I don't mind if I
do the rasterisation inside the program rather than inside the printer
driver - so I don't _have_ to output PostScript - but I want something
that can take up an entire sheet of A4 at 360DPI or better.

Any recommendations?

Have fun,

Paul

P.S. I've tried ploticus.  I intend to translate its entire manual into
Esperanto - that way more people would be able to understand it than the
way it's currently written.