[CLUG] network card id switching

freegazer freegazer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 08:49:58 GMT 2006

ok a new wrinkle was thrown in today : not all machines receiving the image
would have twin nics. but as discussed below this is now resolved.

Steve pointed out something today that had the required effect and allowed
for multiple cards as well as singles.

forcing the device that we need as eth0 manually to a name using an alias in
modprobe.conf is now working. this change to both the image and the
kickstart builds seem to sort it all.

Originally the alias was being set when we used the gui tools on individual
machines so it was overlooked, but apparently the existing referances
weren't being removed properly so the entire network config scripts were
fouling up and rerunning kudzu conf "wizards" at boot. rebooted after
setting the alias manually and the changes held with out needing to rerun
any configuration at all.

this now needs to be tested in combination with the imaging of course but it
seems to be solved.

thanks for the many options and frank discussion.