Fwd: [CLUG] network card id switching

freegazer freegazer at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 00:04:05 GMT 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: freegazer <freegazer at gmail.com>
Date: Jun 11, 2006 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: [CLUG] network card id switching
To: steve at nerdvana.org.au

On 6/10/06, Steve Walsh <steve at nerdvana.org.au> wrote:

>  Would it possible to use a live CD prior to build to obtain Mac Address,
> which could then be used by ifcfg-ethX? Perhaps a bit more of an explanation
> of exactly how the system will be rolled out may be worthwhile? if you knew
> the Mac Addresses in advance, perhaps you could write a script, or may have;
>
> *Initial boot, IP is set by DHCP along with hostname being Mac address
> specific
> *script runs and says "this hostname should have eth0 with this mac
> address, and eth1 with this mac address. It that right?"
> *<insert script-foo here>
> *open beer
>
> maybe grab a coffee one day this week and have a chat about it?
>
> Steve "RHCT with the ink still wet" Walsh

this process would work but would involve too many man-hours to bo
applicable.

the core issue here is that the twin - nic machines would have one PCI nic
and one onboard nic.
currently all the distro's I have looked at by default do PCI probing before
nic setup and therefore all the pci cards are set to eth0. In this situation
we _need_ them to be id'd as eth1 and the mobo to be eth0.

as an example on my home system (not RH) the following order is used
(shortened to pertanent info only) in rc3.d:

s05harddrake
(h/w conf)
s10network
(network conf)

if I remember correctly during Bob's presentation he was saying that one the
Debian diskless he moved the network scripts to earlier in the process. this
sidestepped all the card renaming due to where it was discovered by the
hardware probe. also not having to rename the cards after first
configuration occoured.
please let me know if you can confirm that i am remembering this wrong