[clug] how best to do a backup web server

Tony and Robyn Lewis beakysnugger at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jun 11 15:19:33 GMT 2006

I'm helping a friend with some hosting.  He's getting dedicated hosting
with two separate providers, to give geographical diversity, and so
higher availability.

What's they best way to provide this?

I think traditional clustering is out of the question - there will be no
shared storage, and they don't tend to work well over IP / WANs.  Plus
the IP address failover sounds awfully hard on the big bad internet
(read, most likely impossible)

I was thinking of mysqldump + rsync to keep everything up to date on the
second server (on selective dirs, of course, and handling different real
world IPs), plus having low TTL on DNS.

When the primary server goes down, we change the NS glue to point to the
new server, and wait.

There will be *some* loss of data, between last sync, and the primary
failure, but we can live with that.

Comments?  Any better ways?