[clug] What runlevel should bring network up?

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at nicta.com.au
Wed Jun 7 07:45:48 GMT 2006

xntpd will fail if your local clock is more than 1 second out.  (I
forget the exact amount.)  Most ntp start up scripts run ntpdate or
ntptimeset first before they start ntpd.

If you try and run ntpdate or ntptimeset with ntpd or xntpd running
they will fail.  Some packaging systems have ntpdate or ntptimeset in
a different package to ntpd and you may not have them installed.

You can run ntpq and use the peers command to check the status of ntp.

On 2006 Jun 07, at 2:03 PM, Michael James wrote:

> Debian brings network up in runlevel 2
>  when everything I know waits till 3.
>
> I'm seeing link S15xntpd fail its initial timeset
>  despite being ostensibly behind S08network.
> This suggests that runlevel 2 might be better.
>
> That would give us this characterisation of the runlevels.
>
> 1	Single user
> 2	Network on (but no services)
> 3	Full network services
> 4	reserved
> 5	Full network with graphic login
>
> AFAIK the booting system waits till all services in a level are alive
>  before starting the S scripts in the next.
> So moving network to 2 would guarantee it was up and running
>  before attempting to start any services on it.
>
> Any Debian types know the ideas behind its levels?
> Any non-Debian types know what level 2 IS for?
>
> TIA,
> michaelj
>
> --
> Michael James                         michael.james at csiro.au
> System Administrator                    voice:  02 6246 5040
> CSIRO Bioinformatics Facility             fax:  02 6246 5166
>
> No matter how much you pay for software,
>  you always get less than you hoped.
> Unless you pay nothing, then you get more.
> --

Kim Holburn
Security Manager, National ICT Australia Ltd.
Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 417820641  F: +61 2 6230 6121
mailto:kim.holburn at nicta.com.au  aim://kimholburn
Cacert Root Cert: http://www.cacert.org/cacert.crt
Aust. Spam Act: To stop receiving mail from me: reply and let me know.
Use ISO 8601 dates [YYYY-MM-DD] http://www.saqqara.demon.co.uk/
datefmt.htm

                           -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Analog, Apr 1961