[clug] Distro advice for server

Chris Smart chris at kororaa.org
Tue Jun 6 13:19:09 GMT 2006

On 6/6/06 6:27 PM, "Arafangion" <thestar at fussycoder.id.au> wrote:
[snip]

> I am a Debian person, so I would naturally recommend Debian, however I
> am not sure what Debian is currently like in the 64-bit arena.
Yeah, I'll have to check this out. It's still not "official" and only
available in testing. Maybe if I want to go "Debian" I should just go
"Ubuntu". I'm not sure what Debian people think of Ubuntu in this sort of
regard, not that that probably matters I guess.

>Just a
> comment: Debian Unstable is a high-maintanance distro, and I will never
> recommend it. (I currently maintain a number of Debian Sarge systems,
> and I love it).
Sorry, I meant testing. But it's probably the same with testing, but
slightly lower scale?

> There does appear to be an unofficial Debian Sarge for the AMD64, but I
> have never used it: http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/
Hmm.. maybe Debian is just not an option until amd64 becomes official.

> According to the FAQ there, " The first planned official Debian release
> of 64bit userland for AMD64 will be Etch (Sarge+1).", which appears
> promising.  If you do choose Debian, I would choose either the unoffical
> sarge, or the official etch (If available).
Thanks!

>I might also mention that there are two approaches, a "pure" 64-bit port
>of the distro, where 32-bit programs are run inside of a chroot, and
>having a 32-bit distro with a lib64.
>I believe Fedora chooses the later, while Debian (and probably Gentoo)
>chooses the former.
Yes, afaik Gentoo has a 64bit system with either emul 32bit libs or a 32bit
chroot.

-c