[clug] June CLUG Programmers' Special Interest Group meeting

Paul Wayper paul.wayper at anu.edu.au
Tue Jun 6 05:40:20 GMT 2006

Ko-Kang Kevin Wang wrote:
> Chris Smart wrote:
>> On 6/6/06 8:00 AM, "Steve Walsh" <steve at nerdvana.org.au> wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> Currently there are no talks scheduled. Would anyone like to volunteer?
>> Might I suggest a topic could be "tips and tricks" where people can
>> showoff
>> cool little tricks or hacks they've found in whatever programming
>> language?
>>
>> People could bring a few tricks to show and discuss.
>
> Sounds interesting, or we can discuss Ubuntu Dapper and Knoppix 5.0.1
> and see what people think of them :D
I have two ideas.

One idea that Bob started a while back was the idea of taking on a
particular project that needs doing in the Open Source world.  (Maybe
this is my memory playing tricks on me - Bob was talking about
modifications to pam to allow ssh to reject login scans, but this has
now been done to death.)

Another, perhaps more egotistical, idea is: I've got a particular
problem I'm trying to solve at work.  If people would be interested I
could give a talk about what I've done and what has and hasn't worked so
far, and then people can contribute their own suggestions and ideas on
ways to go beyond where I've got to.  But that's really not something I
want to impose on the group, although I always welcome hearing about
other people's projects and ideas and contributing suggestions to them
(like we did with Tridge's transactionalised tdb commit problem).

Anyway, we'll get there and talk about it all, I suspect.

Have fun,

Paul

P.S. If you feel it's out of line for me to ask for help with a personal
problem like this, please let me know personally.