[clug] providing the source

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at nicta.com.au
Mon Jul 10 23:48:29 GMT 2006

Hi Guys,

I was reading an article recently about a GPL ruling that said that
people who create linux distros have to offer the source for
download.  I seem to remember that the distro makers were bemoaning
this saying that for small distros it was a lot of work and others
saying that the distro might have a particular version which may not
be simply available from upstream sources.  That all seems simple
enough but I was thinking about this and I have a question that
perhaps someone here may know the answer to.

So my question:

If you give a copy of a GPLed binary to a friend, do you have to
provide the source as well?

Kim

--
Kim Holburn
Security Manager, National ICT Australia Ltd.

                           -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Analog, Apr 1961